Applications close: 26 Apr 2019
The Science Department at King’s Christian College, prides itself on being able to offer students high quality facilities and equipment to ensure that learning outcomes for students and participation in curricular and co-curricular programmes.
Qualifications: Must have Laboratory Experience and hold a Certificate 3 or above in Laboratory Skills.
This is a full time - term time position.
ReportsTo: Head of Science
The role of all school officers at King’s Christian College is to offer support to the teaching staff in providing the best education possible for all students. The Science Laboratory Technician works closely with the Head of Science and the Science staff to ensure the Science curriculum is able to be delivered efficiently and safely at all times throughout the year.
In consultation with the Head of Science and the teaching staff the Science Laboratory Technician will ensure that facilities are maintained and that all preparation for class work is completed in a timely manner. The Science Laboratory Technician will assist in timetabled classes and where appropriate at other times.
Along with Science staff the Science Laboratory Technician will monitor work spaces and environment to identify and then refer any maintenance issue which could potentially impact upon student and staff wellbeing. Where appropriate the Science Laboratory Technician will assist with the ordering and purchasing of student’s materials and relevant equipment.
Duties of a science laboratory technician:
- Liaise with science teaching staff on their needs for practical work
- In consultation with the Head of Science maintain an efficient system for use and allocation of materials and equipment
- Assist science teaching staff with demonstrations
- Assist science teaching staff in instructing students on use/care of equipment during science experiments
- Assist science teaching staff in the preparation and delivery of special events such as shows and open nights
- Liaise with the Head of Science regarding any safety matters relating to the science laboratory or experiments chosen by science teaching staff
- Prepare risk assessments in relation to preparation tasks
- Demonstrate laboratory techniques to science teaching staff/students
- Trialling of experiments
Preparation and Maintenance
- Prepare solutions, stains and media for use in the laboratory
- Maintain a safe chemical storage/handling/disposal system in accordance with current regulations
- Maintain an inventory of equipment
- Acquire relevant catalogues and price lists, and suggest a replacement schedule and proposed new equipment for purchase
- Assist with labelling, storage, stocktaking and ordering of equipment and chemicals, following direction from the Head of Science
- Service and clean simple laboratory apparatus/equipment
- Develop maintenance procedures for laboratory equipment
- Perform calibration checks and operate specialist laboratory equipment and instruments
- Care for flora and fauna within the science department, in accordance with current handling and prevention of cruelty regulations
- Collect and maintain living specimens, according to regulations
- Liaise with organisations and industries for purpose of acquiring equipment
- Liaise with other schools to share resources when directed by the Head of Science
- Obtain appropriate licences/permits for use of plants/animals/chemical etc in the science laboratory
- Co-ordinate the use of science materials around the school as approved by the Head of Science
- Conduct safety audits for the laboratories, immediately reporting any issues to the Head of Science and Work Health & Safety officer
- Assist with the purchasing of consumables and equipment following pre-approval by the Head of Science
Previous applicants need not apply.
A curriculum vitae, including the names of two referees and a Pastor/Minister's reference should be sent by Monday 26 April 2019.
How to apply: Please apply for this position via www.seek.com.au
Back to current positions