Records Smashed at Years 3-6 Athletics Carnival
King's Years 3 - 6 students competed for House points in their 2020 Athletics Carnival this week. The exciting event was held at Runaway Bay Athletics track and involved some serious competition and fun, for students and staff alike. Over the two days of competition, we witnessed many school records broken, and saw the Finney 'sharks' once again dominate their rival Houses, beating second-place ‘Tyndaleons’ by over 400 points.
One of the highlights from Day 1 was the 11 Years girls 800m race, where Kebe Stanford-Modini slashed 10 seconds off the existing King’s school record that had been untouched for years, running a sizzling time of 2:38.33 in tough and windy conditions. On Day 2 Alyssa McDonald displayed why she is the current Australian 100m champion, running 13.25 for her 100m sprint and 27.98 for her 200m, and smashing the existing King’s records for both events. Nicky Brunton was also a picture of power in the 12 Years girls 100m, running 14.15, and a slick 28.43 in the 200m.
Track Records Broken
- Archer Donovan Boys 8 Years 100m 15.89 (existing record 16.07)
- Keilana Stanford-Modini Girls 11 Years 800m 2:38.33 (existing record 2:47.75)
- Alyssa McDonald Girls 11 Years 100m 13.25 (existing record 13.59)
- Alyssa McDonald Girls 11 Years 200m 27.98 (existing record 29.28)
Congratulations to the winners of our Oswald Gift 100m sprint race:
- 1st place ($100 prize) - Zac Bikneris (age 10)
- 2nd place ($50 prize) - Anna Igari (age 10)
- 3rd place ($25 prize) - Austin Hala (age 9)
King’s Field coach, Les Gearey, was very happy with the field performances over the two days, with five records broken. Cooper Nemcansky was a display of pure power as he recorded a discus distance of 32.42m, increasing the King’s record by an astounding 10.19m.
Field Records Broken
- Stella Snowden 8 Years Girls High Jump 0.99m (existing record 0.90m)
- Thomas Hunter 8 years Boys High Jump 1.05m (existing record 1.00m)
- Jordan Pollard 9 Years Boys High Jump 1.15m (existing record 1.10m)
- Cooper Nemcansky 10 Years Boys Discus 32.42m (existing record 22.23m)
- Alyssa McDonald 11 Years Girls Shot Put 9.38m (existing record 8.57m)
Well done to all of our 2020 record-breakers.
Congratulations to our 2020 Age Champions - VIEW HERE
Thanks to our sponsor Event Cinemas, Robina, for their ongoing support of King's Athletics Development Program.
Emmanuel Invitational Athletics Carnival
Wednesday, 26 August, was an exciting day of athletics competition for the Year 5 and 6 students who competed against other APS schools, in the Emmanuel Invitational. This event was held before the King's Carnival, providing a great opportunity for students to compete against APS students with no overall school placings awarded at the completion of the Carnival. Even though there is no APS Carnival this year, Mr Muir encourages students to keep up their practise as athletics training will continue throughout Term 4. 'Train hard, win easy!'